drunk driving

Impaired Driving lawyer in Ontario

"I have defended more than 3000 clients charged with motor vehicle offences. Call me at 416 222 4324 so I can use this experience to help you."

To Keep your Driver's Licence and Avoid a Criminal Record

You need a criminal lawyer if you’ve been charged with impaired driving, over 80, care or control, or refusing a breath sample. This is not the time to try to “do it yourself.” You may feel anxious or guilty, want to get it over quickly or be worried about the cost of a lawyer. But with an immediate guilty plea, you are accepting substantial penalties without the benefit of a defence.

With a criminal record, you may not be able to visit the U.S., or worse, practice your profession if your profession or employer require a clean record. As one of Jonathan's clients said,

"In my business, I travel across the U.S. border frequently and a criminal record means loss of employment ... thank you so much for winning my case. It means the world to me ..." N. Anader, Aircraft Engineer

Read about successful cases

Conviction For a First Offence in Ontario

  • Minimum one-year driving prohibition

  • Huge increase in insurance premiums, likely 100 to 300% for 3 to 5 years

  • Minimum fine of $1000

  • Ignition interlock for at least one year (rental cost about $100 per month)

  • Remedial program at a cost of about $500 prior to licence reinstatement

  • And a criminal record that may affect your lifestyle and employment opportunities

Add it up. Even if you have low insurance costs, you are facing several thousand dollars in costs plus the possible loss of your job if it requires driving. And this is the best case.

If your blood alcohol was extremely high, you had an accident, you hurt someone or you have a previous conviction for a similar driving offence, the penalties can be much more severe – including a jail sentence and life-time suspension of your licence.

Friendly legal defenceYour Legal defence

The issue is whether your ability to operate a motor vehicle was impaired by alcohol or drugs. For a conviction, the Crown must prove the details of its case as well as demonstrate that proper procedures were followed by police officers and other authorities.

As your lawyer, I look at all of the facts and base my defence on any flaws in the Crown’s evidence and any violations of your rights.

Depending on the charge:

  • Was your blood alcohol actually over 80 milligrams in 100 millilitres of blood at the time you were driving or about to drive?

  • Was your ability to operate a motor vehicle impaired as a result of drinking or drugs? What is the evidence?

  • Did you refuse to provide a breath sample into a roadside screening device or a breathalyzer instrument?

  • Were you really in care or control of a vehicle with the intent to drive while impaired? You may not have been driving or even in the vehicle.

In addition, were there any violations of your rights under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms?

Good information is the key to a good defence. Make notes as soon as possible after you are charged and share these with your lawyer and no one else. See my initial advice.


Home | About Jonathan | Services | Don't Wait | Impaired Driving | Testimonials | Successful Cases | Believe It or Not | Initial Advice
Contact | Links | Site Map

Telephone - 416 222 4324

E-mail: jonathan@jonathanlapid.com